Elkins: architects that build | Architect & Builder | Chippenham: Wiltshire
As a small RIBA chartered practice, we offer a personal service. Unlike most design & build firms, we are architects with our own directly employed, highly skilled, construction team. We are not builders who employ a designer to do drawings. This gives us complete control to ensure the highest design & construction standards, combining both disciplines allows a balanced ethos, based on the integrity of the aesthetic and the available budget.
The main emphasis of our past work is bespoke residential property, including both new build & renovation. However, our experience ranges from office blocks to tree houses, schools to climbing centres and we pride ourselves on being able to identify the hidden potential of any space.
Around half of the 600+ schemes we have designed were constructed by our own workforce, supplemented where necessary by specialist subcontractors and craftsmen. Take a look at our projects page to see a small selection of our favourite schemes.
Should our construction team be fully committed, we can assist with tendering for an alternative contractor, in addition to offering a full range of follow on services including tender review, contract administration and project management.
Through the years we’ve done a range of free work for charities and worthy causes. Whether that is a women’s charity supporting single mums in Rwanda or a Grade 2* village school in rural Wiltshire, we firmly believe that life is not all about money and if we can help others with good design, then we’d love to be involved.
Elkins Architects continues the traditions of its ‘parent’ company – Nicholas Elkins Ltd. – as an architect led design and construction company, providing high quality designs, on time and on budget. Nick Elkins has been designing and building in the Chippenham area since studying Architecture at Bath University in the 1970’s. His over 400 completed projects, including many for repeat clients, coupled with a wealth of experience with traditional building techniques firmly established the practice’s pragmatic approach.
- Robert Elkins – Architecture Director – joined the practice in 2009 after gaining his Masters in Architecture at the University of Kent in Canterbury, where he was nominated for the RIBA president’s medal. Having worked for firms both in England and abroad gaining a wide range of experience in spatial planning, contemporary building techniques and urban planning. Rob’s architectural rigour and expansive knowledge is constantly pushing the practice forward.
- Ben Towl – Contracts Director – joined in 2015 tasked with running the construction division and giving the firm a landscaping capability. Having graduated from Duchy College in 2008 with a degree in horticulture, design and plantsmanship. He has a wide range of experience on construction projects of all scales.
- Elliot Noyes – Construction Director – re-joined the firm in 2020 after a period as an independent contractor, to help grow the construction division. Elliot has a huge depth of knowledge an skill set to bring the very best out of every project.
- Richard Charles-Jones – RIBA – After graduating from the University of Liverpool with distinction, he worked in Bath for nearly a decade, developing a keen interest in conservation architecture with a sympathetic and pragmatic contemporary edge, joining as a chartered architect at the start of 2017.
- John Tilley – RIBA – joined as a chartered architect in 2018, bringing with him extensive knowledge from practice in Bath, Bristol & Oxford over the last 15 years.
- Annelise Nicholas is a Part 2 Architectural Assistant having completed her Masters in Architecture at Cardiff University in 2014. Currently studying for her Part 3, Anna has a passion in bespoke residential architecture with a human scale, in particular the use of tactile natural materials fused with contemporary detailing.
- Matthew Hacker joined in late 2017, previously having worked in Bristol. Matthew brings years of experience as another a Part 2 Architectural Assistant.
- Fred Palmer joined in 2018, as a Part 1 Architectural Assistant having graduated with first class honours from the University of Bath.
The differences between us, are what make us stronger as a firm. We challenge each other on a daily basis and expect every decision to be robust.